I know I know I keep posting about making bread. To me cooking, baking, and canning (which I plan on learning as well) is a big part of self sufficiency and farming. Also, it’s one of the few things I can do while living in a tiny apartment. This recipe is very simple and you don’t have to wait for the bread to rise!
- 1 1/4 cups yellow or white cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 to 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 to 3 tablespoons melted butter or vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- Bring all ingredients to room temperature, about 70 degrees F.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease an 8 inch square pan with butter or oil. Place in the oven until hot.
- Whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, butter, and milk. Combine with a few rapid strokes.
- Scrape the batter into the hot pan. Bake 15 to 18 minutes until nicely browned.